So, you've heard that it's important to optimize your website for mobile but you don't have any idea where to start. Then, we are glad that you have found this article because it will help clear up the confusion about mobile optimization for your website! As you work on optimizing your website, don't be afraid to try out different techniques because you can always tweak your efforts to see what works best for your website.
Why you should optimize your website for mobile
OK, have you heard of needing a responsive website? A responsive website means that no matter what computer or device your website is viewed on, it displays easily and clearly. This is just one of the things that you need to keep in mind when you optimize your website for mobile.
One of Google's help guides shares the following about why it is important to optimize your website for mobile:
- Mobile-friendly sites show up higher in search results
- Mobile searches make up more than half of searches on Google.com
- For many advertisers, the majority of traffic comes from people on their mobile phones
- If your site isn't mobile-friendly, visitors are 5 times more likely to leave
With these reasons, you can see that Google wants you to learn why it's important to optimize. Check out this page that Google created to help you test your site for mobile speed.
What are essential tips about website mobile optimization
Now that you understand why it's important to optimize your website for mobile, let's take a look at what you can do to get started. There are many ways that you can optimize your website, however, for this article, we will provide basic things that you can do to begin your efforts. We didn't want to overwhelm you with highly technical jargon. 😎
According to Moz, “Mobile optimization takes a look at site design, site structure, page speed, and more to make sure you're not inadvertently turning mobile visitors away.” Alright, now let's take a look at each of these suggestions to see what you need to do to optimize your website.
- Responsive site design: Make sure that your website can be displayed clearly on mobile devices and simply our mobile design.
- Site structure: Ensure that it is easy to understand how your site flows and make it easy to get from one page to the next.
- Page speed: Create a fast loading website so that your pages will display quickly.
- Use Schema.org: Using Schema.org can help improve your website by creating structured data markup which can help search engines to better understand the information on your website.
- Optimize for local search: If you want to be found in local search results, then establish your website for local search by including your city and state in your site's metadata along with adding content to your pages with local area details.
How to optimize your website for mobile
You've learned the “why” and “what” about optimizing your website for mobile. Now let's take a look at how you can do it. According to Quickspout, here are 10 tips that can help you make your website mobile-friendly.
- Install a responsive theme
- Simplify your menus
- Keep forms as short as possible
- Clearly display your CTAs
- Include a search function
- Make customer service easily accessible
- Eliminate pop-ups
- Avoid large blocks of text
- Prioritize speed
- Get ahead of the curve with Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
If you need to learn how to do any of these, please feel free to check out the article by Quicksprout, that's mentioned above, for more details.
Final words regarding how to optimize your website for mobile
As you implement the instructions in this article, keep in mind that you should always monitor your progress. If you have questions regarding this article, feel free to contact us via our webchat at the bottom of the screen or you can reach out to us via our Contact page.
- Why It's Important To Optimize Your Website For Mobile - February 17, 2020
- Great Tips For Link Building To Improve Your SEO - February 10, 2020
- How To Improve Your Website SEO With Google Search Console - February 3, 2020