Excitement is in the air about adding website live chat so that you can engage with your website visitors! It's exciting because live chat allows you to easily engage with those who visit your website.
We want to share 3 simple reasons why you should add website live chat and how live chat can help you get connected. Then, we'll share how you can stay connected with your live chat participants.
According to Intercom,
Having conversations with your website visitors really does pay off. According to our data, website visitors are 82% more likely to convert to customers if they’ve chatted with you first. What’s more, their accounts are worth 13% more than those where the business didn’t have a conversation before sign up. Leaning into real-time conversations isn’t just a nice-to-have, it’s great for capturing and converting website visitors too.
Wow! We love seeing that customers are more likely to convert when you have a website live chat in place!
Let's dive into the 3 reasons to have website live chat
To start, “the chatbot market is estimated to reach $1.25 billion by 2025, up from $190.8 million in 2016 — meaning a compound annual growth rate of 24.3%.” (Forbes, 2019). We believe that this statistic alone is an important reason why you should integrate live chat into your website. However, we have three additional reasons why you should integrate live chat into your website:
- Reason 1: to engage visitors with website live chat
- Reason 2: to increase mailing list subscribers
- Reason 3: to learn what's on the minds of your target customers
These three are not the only reasons why you need website live chat, they're just a starting point.
Reason 1: Engage visitors with website live chat
We began with this reason because interacting with your website visitors is a way to keep them on your website and to keep them coming back. With website live chat, you can ask them questions, share links with them, and you can even share coupons or free downloads. There are numerous ways that you can engage with your website visitors!
Keep in mind that you can actually set up automations that can interact with your website visitors via website live chat, even when you are away. This type of live chat engagement is usually done via AI (Artificial Intelligence) or when you have set up after-hours automation. Either way, it will allow you to engage with your website visitors.
Here's a cool statistic: “55% of respondents say they would most enjoy getting an instant response and answers to simple questions from a chatbot (The State of Chatbots Report, 2018). Now that's a really great reason to engage via website live chat with your visitors.
Reason 2: Increase mailing list subscribers
Depending on the live chat software you choose, you can actually prompt your website visitors for their email address. Of course, you will need to make sure you receive their name and email address to add them to your mailing list before you actually add them. Below is a sample conversation that could happen between an agent (we call our Happiness Coordinator) and a website visitor.
- Happiness Coordinator: Hi, welcome to our website! I'm Kimmie your Happiness Coordinator! We would love to learn if you have any questions about website optimization or website live chat.
- Visitor: Hi, I'm new to your website. Where do you suggest I start?
- Happiness Coordinator: Great question! May I have your name so that I don't call you “hey you?”
- Visitor: Candance
- Happiness Coordinator: Thank you for sharing! If you don't mind, I would love to be able to email you our chat when we finish. May I have your email too?
- Visitor: firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: this email is fake for the purpose of this example)
- Happiness Coordinator: Thank you again. Now to answer your question, we have a section on our website called Getting Started which can help you learn about all the different areas of our website. Here's a link to our Getting Started section: https://helpcompany.com/getting-stated (Note: fake URL too)
- Visitor: This is great, thanks
- Happiness Coordinator: Do you have any additional questions for me?
- Visitor: How can I get back to this chat once I finish the Getting Started section?
- Happiness Coordinator: Just check your email later and you will find an email with this chat in it with a link to rejoin this chat. You can also reply to the email and it will add your reply to this chat too. Is there anything else I can help you with?
- Visitor: No thanks, I'm good for now. I'm heading over to the Getting Started section.
- Happiness Coordinator: Awesome! Have a great day! 😀
Did you notice how one of the first interactions was to ask for the email address? This is key to helping the growth of your mailing list. By asking for the email, you are getting permission to email the website visitor. When you do email the visitor, make sure that there is an automatic statement at the bottom of the follow-up email that goes something like this:
Thank you for choosing to share your email address with us. We have added you to our mailing list which is how you were able to receive this follow-up chat message. If you choose to be removed from our mailing list, we understand and you can click here. Otherwise, keep watching for our emails that will be packed full of tips, tools, and techniques that will help you optimize your website!
By adding this statement to your email, you are giving your website visitors a way to unsubscribe if they want to and you are letting them know what to expect when they receive an email from you in case they choose to stay.
Reason 3: Learn what's on the minds of your target customers
When someone takes the time to visit your website and chooses to engage with your website live chat, that means this person just might fit your target customer persona. If this is the case, it is a good idea to find out what's on their mind by asking additional questions during the chat. Such as…
- What is the biggest challenge that you are currently facing in your business?
- How did you find our website?
- If you were searching, what words did you type in that lead you to our website?
- Which of these would describe you (provide 3 options that would lead them to one of your services, i.e., DIYer, Group coaching, 1:1 coaching)?
As you ask questions similar to these, make sure that the questions tie into you leading your website visitors to your services or products. Don't be overly aggressive when communicating about your services or products. Just do a surface share that leads them to a link on your website where they can find out more information.
Below are a few of the resources that we've tested:
Final words about website live chat
In keeping with all that we have shared, we thought it would be great if you had an online marketing database you could search to check out website live chat software. It's a great resource and it can be found on GrowVisibility (sister website). If you want to reach out to us and hire us to set up your website live chat, feel free to send us a message via our Contact page.
- Why It's Important To Optimize Your Website For Mobile - February 17, 2020
- Great Tips For Link Building To Improve Your SEO - February 10, 2020
- How To Improve Your Website SEO With Google Search Console - February 3, 2020